Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Electricity Woes Part I

Some families go into the mission field knowing they will not have electricity and so they prepare for such a life.  We have one family in our mission in Zambia that lives without electricity.  We had friends in orientation that were going to a place without electricity.   We on the other hand knew we would have electricity.  We did know it wouldn’t be great and it wouldn’t be always there, but that we would have it.

The Monday after Thanksgiving, while we were still in Lusaka, we got a call.  The electricity is off and they are not sure when it is coming back on.  We figure, no big deal, we are not even there.  We drove back to Mbala on that Wednesday.  The electricity was still off.  In Kasama we filled one of our jerry cans with petrol/gasoline. 

When we got home, Steve pulled the vehicle right up to the front door to unload it.  He took off to the back to get the generator up and running.  The kids and I unloaded the vehicle and trailer.  We unpacked and climbed into bed exhausted from our drive.  We had left Lusaka at 4 AM.  We stopped in Kasama to take care of a few things there, so didn’t get home until about 6 PM.

Steve got up twice in the night to fill up the generator.  At 4 AM the electric came on.  Whoo hoo!!!!  We really didn’t have to put up with that electrical outage as we were not here to deal with it.  We didn’t lose anything in the Fridge or Freeze because no one was opening and shutting the doors all day.  I was thinking, Yes!  didn’t have to deal with that one.  I think the Lord thought I needed to deal with an electrical outage as you will see in Part 2.

The reason for this three and a half day outage was due to some guys stealing bolts and or cables or both, holding up a tower.  Stories are conflicting.  Anyways, the tower fell over taking another tower with it.  One of the guys was caught and sitting jail.  I heard that others were caught, but this of course is not confirmed.

2 comments:

hthrnleh@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve and Rita Schwarz said...

Heather - Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't relized I was being negative. Can you identify who you are? Be assured we are very happy here and we are in God's will. That is what matters most! I am very busy homeschooling our children and feeding our family. One of my goals is to post twice a month. Sometimes there just isn't time and it goes forgotten. Then things described in the post happen. This wouldn't be happening in the US and I think our friends and family would be interested in what goes on somedays of our life. I will try to be more positive in my blogging.