Monday, October 18, 2010

Language Study Officially is Over

And now the witnessing for Christ begins.  You can pray that Steve will be able to meet with area leaders of the Maround Compound here in Mbala.  He has met with the police so that they know what he will be doing.  Now he needs to meet with the leaders so that they also know.  He has tried twice already to meet with leaders and didn’t find them home.  These things take time especially when the person doesn’t have a phone.  On Monday morning another appointment has been set up.  This time an adult (wife) agreed that her husband would be there.  The other times they found no one home or they told the children when they would come back.

You can also be praying that as he witnesses he would find people who are open to hearing and accepting of what they hear.  Pray that many would come to know Christ as their personal Savior.

OK, our year of language study is officially over but we will still be studying language.  Steve will still be meeting with his language helper and I will be too.  I, Rita, had a lot going against me for learning a language in one year.  The number one thing is I was 40 years old.  On the front of one of our lesson books is a nice little list of how long it will take you to learn ciBemba.

20 years old        7 months     at least     1050 hours

25 years old        9 months     at least     1350 hours

30 years old     12 months     at least     1800 hours

35 years old     16 months     at least     2400 hours

40 years old     21 months     at least     3200 hours

The next thing going against me for learning a language is I have four beautiful children and I home school them.  Here where we live there is no other choice but to home school them and I want to home school them.

Then there is cooking.  Here in Mbala, Zambia if you want to eat anything for the most part you have to cook it.   So, I will be continuing my study of the ciBemba language for some time to come yet.

1 comment:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Definitely language learning is harder on Mom's who are cooking and homeschooling and who are older (I feel your pain!) but God will give us extra grace :)