Thursday, April 2, 2009

Finding Our Children's Blood Types

It is best to know what ones blood type is before leaving the country. The easiest way to do that for an adult if to go give blood at the Red Cross. For a child it is a different story. The Doctor's office didn't do it with their physicals. We would have to pay the $20 co-pay for each child and then they didn't think insurance would cover that. We would need to call the insurance company first and check it out.


Our answer to the problem? Steve is a scientist!! He also worked in a vet hospital for years. When others were having a hard time getting an IV started on a kitten, he could do it. He did volunteer to start my IV for me when I was having surgery. It took them 8 times sticking me before they got it in. Maybe I should have let Steve do it after all.


So Steve bought 4 blood type kits on line for $31. That included the shipping. He sat down at the dinning room table and proceeded to find the blood types of our children. They make it really fool proof these days. All the chemicals are dried on the little card. You just at one drop of water to each circle and one drop of blood. Only one child cried, but I expected that. Not sure what he is going to do on the three shot days during orientation.


What is really interesting is the results. Tobias and Lane are kind of similar in personalities and mannerisms. Their blood type is the same. Heather and Seth are kind of similar in personalities and mannerisms too. Their blood types are the same also. I think that is pretty interesting. I'm curious how many other families out there with multiple children are seeing the same kind of results.


I can't give blood to any of my children and Steve can give blood to two of them. Tobias is over 100 lbs, so I guess he can give blood to Lane, not sure what Tobias will do.

God bless,
Rita for the Schwarzes
Still in South Carolina

No comments: