Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday Afternoon turns into an Adventure!

There are three missionary families here in Mbala.  On Friday afternoons we ladies get together for tea or coffee and let the kids play.   As I drove down the farm lane we came upon these purple flowers.

050

In one of my last posts I talked about thanking God for the color purple in the dry season.  We haven’t had rain that amounted to anything since April.  I don’t know if you can see the black ground in this picture.  All over Zamia they are burning the bush and fields.  I think this area was just burned two weeks ago.  And yet these purple flowers are blooming – giving the black ground some color.

052

We drove further down their lane and found this.  They don’t want their land burned!  They have 30 cows then need to eat what little grass they can find.  But it has been burnt thanks to an unknown somebody.

055

Here is a better picture of the lane with the burnt bush on either side.

And then we had an adventure!!!  The man who takes care of the cows came to say one is stuck in a mud whole.  My first thought it it is the dry season, where is their mud!!  But, I forgot they have several dambos (big swampy area) around them. 

063

The mud hole was to the right of this picture.  The rope they were using broke and so they climbed in and pushed the cow out.  The men were conveniently gone.  My friend was a city girl!  I the farm girl spent way too much time not wanting to get muddy to get there in time to be much help. 

No comments: