Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Road Trip

The Adair’s are team members of ours, but we have never been to their house.  So we decided to take some vacation time and go and see them.

We left to visit them on a Monday morning in June.  It ended up being a 10 hour drive from our place.  Only about one hour was on a paved road.  That was on our end of the trip.  The rest of the way was all dirt roads.  On the way to Lusaka, I read or crochet, but not on this trip.  Those two pass times were impossible.

There is a road close to us that is a much more direct route to Kaputa.  But there is no bridge across a pretty good sized river.  So we went south towards Kasama,  Then drove mostly west and a little south, before we could go straight north.  But then you bump into a lake that we have to drive east and then north to get around it.  Then we again drove west to their place. 

This lake we had to go around has a lot of swamp around it.  Twice we drove on a road right through the swamp.  I was quit impressed with the elevated road.

IMG_0533

IMG_0535

When you are driving through the swamp it feels like the water goes on forever.  We also were wondering what  happens when you come across a vehicle going in the opposite direction.  The road was only one lane wide with hardly any places at all to pass.

We had a wonderful time visiting with them and their three little children.  Steve got to go out with James to his Bible studies.  One place James goes to, it is faster to ride a bike there than to drive the vehicle because the road is so bad.

I have always loved my cement block wall around my house for many reasons.  After being at their house I have added a new reason to my list.  It keeps the fires out of my yard.

One night I heard a new noise and asked, “That isn’t rain is it?”  Nope.  About a block away a lot was burning.  It turned out to be one of their church plants.  We walked to the Bible study the next afternoon.  The insaka was gone.  It was like it was never there.  They build them with wood and grass.

The next night we are sitting in the living room and again I hear the same noise.  This time the fire was in the lot right behind them.

IMG_0538

Thankfully, James had the foresight to train his yard workers to dig a fire break around his fence on the outside as soon as the dry season begins.  What looked big and bad came to a little patch of dirt and that was then end of it.

I didn’t get any pictures of the children playing.  I’m not sure why I can’t remember to do that.  On Friday morning we drove home. 

God bless,

Rita

 

 

No comments: