Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Swimming

I have always wanted my kids to learn how to swim.  I just think it is something every child should learn to do.  While we were at Seminary, Tobias and Heather took one week of swimming lessons and learned how to swim. 

The summer of 2008 we lived in a neighborhood that had a pool.  So almost every morning at 9:00 we walked up to the pool to swim.  I was a mean mommy or so my kids thought.  I made Tobias and Heather swim laps before they could play in the pool.  This was to strengthen their muscles and make them better swimmers.  By the end of the summer Lane and Seth finally were putting their heads under the water! 

For the last three years in Zambia we have had limited opportunities to swim.  They swim in the lake at Isanga Bay, but we have only been there maybe three times.  At our annual mission meeting they have a big pool.  The kids almost spend that whole week in the pool.  Lane and Seth this last time were showing me what they could do.  They were swimming!  But I wouldn’t let them in the deep end yet.  There were just barely swimming.

We came home this July for furlough.  The first three weeks the kids walked up to my cousins house and swam in their pool which was an above ground pool that was only three feet deep, maybe four.  They were practicing their skills!

Then we went to South Carolina and went swimming at a friends house.  They have an in ground pool.  Lane and Seth both informed me that they were going to jump off of the diving board.  And they did!! And they didn’t drowned!  And I didn’t have to jump in and save them.  I am so proud of my kids.

IMG_0036

IMG_0037

 

IMG_0038

IMG_0039

No comments: