Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seth’s Favorite Meal

On Wednesday night of this week, I stayed up waiting for Steve to get back from Kasama.  One of the night guards there is in the hospital and has been for most of the month.  They still are not sure what he has.  Steve went to visit him and meet the new night guard that was hired by the head guard.

I put our children to bed on most nights around 7 PM.  When they were little they went right to sleep.  Now they are aloud to read until 8 PM, then lights out.

Seth comes to me at 8:30 wanting help in his Language book.  He is working on Thursday’s work!?!?  I ask him why is he still up.  He is to be in bed!  He wanted to get ahead start in his school work so that he can eat his favorite meal.

I ask, “What is your favorite meal?”  You would think a mother might know what her children’s favorite meals are, but I’m sorry to say that I don't.  I know what they like and dislike, but not favorites.  He answered, “Chicken.”  I said, “I’m not making chicken tomorrow.”  He says, “You know, bugs!" with this very cute smile that only Seth can make.  He is up trying to get school work done so he can eat nshima and caterpillars at lunch time!!! :( YUK ! !

You have to know that I have a rule that started when Tobias was in 4th or 5th grade.  He started procrastinating in his school work.  He and I would be up until 10 or 11 PM doing school work.  It got to be very frustrating.  We didn’t watch TV, they didn’t have video games or game boys.  There was nothing to take away from him to encourage him to do better.  So I took away food.  I figured out what was a decent amount of work to be done in order to eat lunch.  They rest of school had to be done in order to eat dinner.  It worked!  He might have only had breakfast one day, but you can be sure he had all three meals the next.  He would relapse and do this every week or so.

I kind of had forgotten this rule, but Lane is now our procrastinator.  Tobias has grown out of it, Thank the Lord!  I don’t think I could survive two at a time.  So I started reminding them of this rule and last week I stared reinforcing it.  On Wednesday, Heather, Lane and Seth were behind in school work.  On Tuesday, Steve had bought the caterpillars in the market!  I personally will never buy them.  Since Steve was going to be gone on Wednesday, the plan was to have our house helper make it for lunch on Thursday.

Since Seth only got 1/2 a sandwich for being slow in school on Wed, he was making sure he got to eat lunch on Thursday since it was his favorite!

Thursday’s Lunch Menu, Seth’s favorite:  nshima, relish – rape and Chinese cabbage mixed, soup, and caterpillars.  All the boys/men in the house love them.  The women hate them.  Actually, we women refuse to try them, so I guess I can’t say we hate them.  I can say they don’t smell good when you cook them! :)

No comments: